Updated on Jan. 23, 2023
Recently I put together a crowdsourced spreadsheet of independent local news outlets in Massachusetts in order to show that community journalism hasn’t been entirely swallowed up by corporate chain journalism. If a paper is owned by an out-of-state group, it didn’t make the cut.
But not every chain is as bad as Gannett or Alden Global Capital’s MediaNews Group. Alden, as you may know, owns The Sun of Lowell, the Sentinel & Enterprise of Fitchburg and the Boston Herald, all of which have been slashed to the bone — and beyond. Gannett is closing and merging our venerable weekly newspapers and reassigning local reporters to regional beats.
There aren’t too many other chain newspapers in Massachusetts, but there are a few — and all of them are doing a better job of serving their communities than Alden or Gannett. Here are the ones that come to mind:
CNHI, Montgomery, Alabama
- Eagle-Tribune of North Andover (daily)
- Daily News of Newburyport (daily)
- Salem News (daily)
- Gloucester Daily Times (daily)
- Haverhill Gazette (weekly)
- Andover Townsman (weekly)
Steven Malkowich of Vancouver, British Columbia*
- Sun Chronicle of Attleboro (daily)
- Foxboro Reporter (weekly)
Advance Publications of New York
- Republican of Springfield (daily)
- MassLive (digital)
- Reminder (weeklies in multiple communities in the Greater Springfield area; click here for a list)
Newspapers of New England, Concord, New Hampshire
- Daily Hampshire Gazette of Northampton
- Athol Daily News
- Greenfield Recorder (daily)
- Amherst Bulletin (weekly)
- Valley Advocate of Northampton (alt-weekly)
CherryRoad Media, New Jersey
This small but growing chain of newspapers has acquired five weekly publications in Central Massachusetts from Gannett.
- Millbury-Sutton Chronicle
- Item of Clinton
- Grafton News
- Landmark of Holden
- Leominster Champion
I think this is the complete list, but if you know of any more, just drop me a line at dan dot kennedy at northeastern dot edu.
*Malkowich’s holdings are … complicated. Here is a Los Angeles Times story that offers a little bit of background. I do know that he earns generally high marks for the way that he’s presided over The Sun Chronicle.