I asked students in my Ethics and Issues class this morning to come up with questions for the candidates in five broad areas at tonight’s first presidential debate. Because my students are wicked smart, I thought I’d share them with you.
- Ethics: What do you think the role of executive power and executive actions should be, and how would you utilize them as president?
- COVID: After failed diagnoses, treatments and political drama, how are you going to get Americans to trust science again? Is that important?
- Black Lives Matter: Do you have plans to reform the training and educational requirements used in vetting and hiring for law enforcement? Would your plans contribute to combating institutional systemic racism?
- The economy: Besides re-opening, what economic issues are most important for your recovery plans?
- Climate change: What is your plan for the next four years to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2040?